Friday, December 9, 2016

Copper Mountain RV Park, Tacna, AZ - December 9, 2016

We are over halfway through our stay here at Copper Mountain RV Park. I figure it is time for an update. We have actually done quite a few things while we were here.

One of the first things we did, and our main reason to be here, was to rent a car and zip over to El Paso, TX for Donna's yearly doctor checkup. We picked here so my sister Karen could watch and feed our cats. And it was much cheaper than driving the RV to Livingston, TX and be back to Las Vegas by Christmas. We got her PCP changed to a doctor in El Paso instead of Livingston. Gotta see a 'IN Network" doctor. El Paso is 817 miles closer to us than Livingston. Cool!

We drove 512 miles and played Pokemon Go along the way at the rest areas, including this one by the giant Roadrunner in Las Cruces.



We spent the night in a Motel 6 in West El Paso. The doctor appt went pretty good. Donna likes her new doctor, and thats a good thing. We were pretty happy about the results of her blood tests. After being on the Whole 30 eating plan, and 'kinda' sticking close to it, her blood pressure and cholesterol were in the normal range. A first time for that! But, she has another appointment with a doctor here on Jan 26th. Seems that she may have a change in her medications. Oh well, I guess we'll be back.

We have our Christmas shopping done and I will mail a couple of packages later today. I completed our annual Ferguson Christmas Newsletter and got our Christmas cards out too! If you want to read our newsletter, you can access it here.

I have played the desert golf course here 3 times. It is 18 holes, ranging from 65 yards to 240 yards. A total of 2,212 yards in all. With a 2 foot diameter hole. My scores were 81, 74, and a 75.
I am having fun though. A selfie on number 9.




We have been enjoying our propane campfire quite a bit. I especially like this picture of my honey (not the Jeep). The cool glow in the wheel reflections are our new purple LED rope lights surrounding our patio.



And just for giggles, look what we found at Sam's Club in the Veggie section.



Who would of thought that brussle sprouts grew like this?

While this close to Yuma, we spent a couple of days driving around the area and checking out future boondocking places. Around Mitry Lake was pretty nice, but you would be lucky to get a 'good' spot. And the sign says you can stay 10 days per year. Kinda strange? Then out towards Imperial Dam, there was quite a bit of choices. Definatly a possibility. We then traveled out west to Ogilby Road. That area is pretty good. Reminds me of the Quartzsite area. Then coming back towards Yuma, we stopped at Pilot Knob BLM areas. They have a 14 day free area as well as a LTVA. This area was my favorite. I bet we will be back there again sometime.

After having starting problems with the motorhome a while back, I got it taken care of. The chassis battery voltage, while plugged into shore power was 13.2 to 14.2, depending on the charging state. So I removed the battery from the rig, and measured 12.9 volts. Then while it was unhooked, watched it drain down to 10.1 volts within an hour. I am glad that it wasn't a short in our RV causing it. Well, the battery looked OEM, like original equipment.




I went to O'Reily Auto Parts and got another battery, different brand, but same specs, for $120.00. Everything looks great now. Whew!!

While here, we finally made it to the Yuma Territorial Prison. Had a guided tour there. It was a good day. Very interesting!














Here is a first for us. A string broke on one of our day/night shades. I had a repair kit for such a time as this. And it even came with instructions too!




It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.



Project done and it evens work like it should too!

Now for the BIG project I completed while here. I ordered (2) 160 watt solar panels from E Bay. I got the link from Brian Boone's Facebook group, Solar Powered RV's & Boondocking. Only $165.00 each with free shipping and even USA made! I did have to go down into Yuma to buy mounting feet and a lift kit.

They came packed pretty well.






Installing the feet.






Then tragedy struck .... almost!
I set my ladder up where I wanted the panels to be installed.



The panels are kinda large and heavy, but I could do it. Well maybe!

I got up the ladder and hoisted one up. With no hands on the ladder, I tried to lay one up on the roof. As I was pushing the panel up onto the roof, I was also pushing myself back from the ladder. Not a good feeling!

As I realized I was going to crash, I pushed hard on the panel. I didn't want it to fall 13 feet to the ground after all. That sent me flying off the ladder. Good thing I was only 5 steps up the ladder. But, hey! I'm old don't ya know! I guess my Kung Fu reflexes came into play or something, cuz I'm alive to tell the story.

The solar panel stayed up on the roof (and slide) and I hit the ground. I landed between the water spicket and power ped, on top of the sewer hose. My feet hit first and I rolled backwards and onto my feet. Man, I was glad no one saw that!

This is a 're-enactment' picture.




A bit of a sore left ankle, but alive to tell the tale! Yes, God was with me!

The next panel, I had Donna help guide it up the RV ladder while I hoisted it up with a rope. Why I didn't do that first?

After changing my shorts, I finished the install.

Lots of Dicor.



Combiner box is getting pretty full.



All sealed up.



Cables secured.




The new 2 panels.



That gives me 720 watts using 6 panels.




Nine more days here, and we will head for Las Vegas and Christmas with our daughter Kim.

Stay tuned...

1 comment:

  1. Great job on the panel install! Glad to hear that your fall did not result in a serious injury, you got lucky there. Nice reenactment shot!

    ReplyDelete