Sunday, April 6, 2014

Vancouver, WA - Family Time

We all went to Pita Pit for lunch. This is a first time there for Donna and I. I had a Philly Cheesesteak pita thingy. It was good.

After a good visit with our youngest daughter, Kim, she left to drive back to Pasco. She works at Amazon and had to be back to work Friday. We will see more of her while in Washington.

Our oldest daughter, Candy, took Friday off from her work at a hospital in Portland, to spend some time with us.

Candy took Donna to get a mani-pedi. This was a late birthday present from her birthday last month. They had a great time.


While they were doing some girlie stuff, I drove down south on I-5 to a Camping World in Wilsonville. It was time to do something about our banged up Dish Network satellite dish.

It has fallen over one too many times and was in sad shape. The LNB was taped to hold it together and the arm joint had broken, so I used string to hold the arm up to the correct orientation. It was getting kinda tricky to get it set up and working correctly.

I took the plunge and bought a Tailgater. This automatically finds the satellites and locks in on them.

Works pretty slick. Set up will be a little easier now.

Heading back to Vancouver, I took a detour through Portland to the Willamette National Cemetery.

My Uncle Dale was buried there and I wanted to visit and take a few photos for the genealogy section of my web site (www.thefergs.com).

I hadn't seen my Aunt Ruth & Uncle Dale for many, many years and I had planned on going to a family reunion back in Sept of 2012. I had to cancel because I broke my back. He passed Nov of 2012. I did get to visit my Aunt Ruth and some cousins on our trip south and again on the trip back north to WA.

The Willamette National Cemetery is huge and very well cared for. I stopped at a Gravesite Locator terminal and looked him up and even printed out a map. After getting lost a few times, I finally located him.


Dale was a Marine and served in WWII in the South Pacific. He served with my Dad. My son Tim was also a Marine. I was in the Army.

After the war, they came back to the states and married sisters. How cool is that.

He has been very active with USMC groups and activities. Like they say - "Once a Marine, always a Marine". This rang true with him.

He is buried between an Army guy and a Navy guy.


Rest In Peace Uncle Dale.... OOh Rah!

Later that evening we had dinner at Candy's house. Her friend Mike came over and we had a delicious Salmon dinner.

Saturday, Candy drove us around Portland. We drove by a place called VooDoo Donuts. It looked interesting, but they were too busy, so we passed and went to Lloyd Center.

It is a very, very large shopping mall.


We walked our legs off and did a lot of looking. They have an indoor ice skating rink on the lower level. I used to play hockey as a kid (about a hundred years ago) and was tempted.

Maybe some day....

Donna picked up a cute little pet bed for our cat, Rumble Bunny. Candy bought some jewelry. And we also picked up some Cinnabons for later.

That evening, Candy and Mike came to our RV and Donna made a big pot of chili. Candy made a salad and corn muffins. A yummy dinner.

And a Cinnabon for dessert.

Good times!

1 comment:

  1. OH! When you get a chance....go back to Voo Doo Donuts! It's definitely a yummy experience!

    ReplyDelete